There is a common perception of celebrities as dumb and dense, as people who only focus on how to look perpetually pleasing in front of the cameras. However, there is quite a number of them who can change this prevalent notion. You might be surprised who made it to the list.
10. MAINE MENDOZA. We are all aware that Maine is a degree holder but only a few and her real, die-hard fans know that she was a consistent Dean’s Lister and honor student during college. She earned her culinary arts degree at De La Salle-College of St. Benilde and even took up her internship in the United States. In an interview, Maine shared her initial dream was to become a flight attendant but being a celebrity was her secret wish until it became a reality when her Dubsmash entries went viral.
9. LEA SALONGA. It isn’t much of a shocker that the world-renowned singer and Disney Legend Lea Salonga doesn’t just exhibit brilliance in music. Lea is also a writer, currently a columnist of Philippine Daily Inquirer and is also known to frequent post thought-out remarks on her Twitter account. Plus, undeniably, her good looks, Lea seems to really have it all.
8. GISELLE SANCHEZ. Who would’ve thought that comedienne Giselle Sanchez had a high-quality education background. At a young age, their family business encountered financial problems which made her sell snacks to her schoolmates in order earn enough money enough to keep studying at Poveda Learning Center. But because of her exceptional grades and talent, Poveda offered her a scholarship until she graduated high school. She earned her Broadcast Communication degree at University of the Philippines, magna cum laude!
7. AGOT ISIDRO. Actress and singer Agot, who was once dubbed as "crush ng bayan" because of her girl-next-door guise, had a rich educational background. She holds a degree in Interior Design from the University of the Philippines-Diliman, and Fashion Buying and Merchandising at Fashion Institute of Technology in New York, where she graduated as magna cum laude. She also pursued a master's degree in communication from the Ateneo de Manila University.
6. MELANIE MARQUEZ. Miss International 1979 Melanie Marquez was known for her low knack in English, but she proved that language isn’t a barrier to strut her way into the academia. In November 2006, Melanie earned her Business Administration degree from the International Academy of Management and Economics (IAME), and yes, cum laude.
In an interview, Melanie explained how she does excel in business.
"I know exactly what I'm doing when it comes to businesses, especially dahil involved ako sa showbiz, sa filmmaking, sa fashion. Kahit nakapikit ako, alam ko na ang gagawin ko,” she said. "So I think nag-excel lang ako because my professors in IAME were really impressed sa last project na in-implement ko. It only took me two weeks to present a very successful project in Rockwell where we touched my major, ‘yung accounting and financing, saka advertising," she added.
Warnborough University in New England through IAME offered Melanie some business modules and she gladly took them. Moreover, she co-authored the book Beauty Reborn: the New Placenta No-Nonsense Beauty Guide with experts Jim Acosta and Dr. Dietmar Rummel.
CONTINUE READING ON PAGE 2
5. BENJAMIN ALVES. Kapuso artist Benjamin Alves, after jumping from course to course, graduated from the University of Guam with a degree in English Literature—Summa cum Laude! In an interview, the matinee idol shared he was a real nerd and have always loved writing and reading. Indeed, a goal-oriented person he is should be a perfect example to youngsters.
4. RICHARD JUAN. Chinito heartthrob, hunk in the making Richard Juan graduated cum laude in the University of the Philippines-Diliman with a degree of Broadcast Communication. While studying, he was already doing part-time modeling, but got his big break at “Eat Bulaga’s” “You’re My Foreignoy”.
3. MYRTLE SARROSA. Myrtle is known as the Big Winner of the reality show Pinoy Big Brother (PBB) in 2015. But she is also another celebrity ‘Iskolar ng Bayan’ and graduated Mass Communications at the University of the Philippines-Diliman, with Latin honor cum laude.
2. CARLA ABELLANA. A lot of people know that GMA-7 actress Carla is an epitome of beauty and brains. Also rich in education, she went to O.B. Montessori Center in Greenhills from pre-school to high school. She finished her Psychology degree at De La Salle University in Manila with Latin honor cum laude.
1. KATHRYN BERNARDO. Little do people know that the ‘teen queen’ Kathryn graduated top of her class in elementary. She went to OB Montessori Center Inc. before her acting debut in 2003, and currently majors in Marketing at the prestigious Enderun Colleges.
What can you say about these celebs? Tell us your thoughts below!